Hódmezővásárhely municipal town city has been inhabited since the prehistoric ages. Nearly six thousand years old fossil-assemblages were revealed near the town. The town and its surrounding area had been surrounded by Hód-tó (Beaver Lake) and its associated water-system. The population lived from fishing, trade and agriculture. Previously Hód and Vásárhely were two separate villages, and in the 15th century the two villages and a third one, Ábrány, merged and a typical market town was established.
During the Turkish occupation the village and its surroundings became almost completely deserted, the slow repatriation began only after the Turks had been driven out. In the mid-90s the development of Hódmezővásárhely was recognized with prizes and awards both nationally and internationally. The town received a Europe Award. In the field of drainage the town reached considerable results; a new sewage treatment plant has been established.
The great natural wealth of Hódmezővásárhely is the thermal water of the local bath, which tempts guests to the town every summer.
A special exhibition was opened in Hódmezővásárhely on 7th July, 2006. The Emlékpont (“memorial point”) is the first place in Hungary to show through a town’s history, what it meant for the people living in the “socialist” era from 1945 to 1990. The most up-to-date exhibition and museum-educational tools help revive the historical processes that determined the life of the residents in Hódmezővásárhely and on the surrounding area during this period.
Tornyai János Museums
In the spectacular store of the museum, which is unique in the South Plains region, you can see the entire museum collection including about one thousand five hundred outstanding items of ethnography, archeology, local history and fine art. There is a permanent archaeological exhibition in the museum where people can get insight into the everyday life of the Neolithic man (7-5 MillenniumBC). Next to the Kőrös culture Tiszajenő house reconstruction the famous archaeological finds, the Altar of Kökénydomb and the Venuses can be seen
Busch Miklós had a new church built from 1852 to 1857 instead of the chapel converted from a house in 1834. It got the present form based on the plans of Müller Miksa between 1906 and 1908. The front garden provides a suitable view of the building. With Moorish style elements, the eclectic, impressive church has typical Art Nouveau ornamentation. Above the entrance a circular glass window dominates the facade, which is closed by a triple arch with a stone plate on top.
Downtown Pottery House
Hódmezővásárhely used to be the centers of the lowland pottery, which flourished in the second half of the last century. Every part of the town developed a different style. Local potters usually made bowls in larger quantities, but also drinking flasks, jugs, mugs, jars, ink bottles, cups and bottles were produced. Visitors can see the pottery exhibition and workshop in Ambrus Sándor potter’s house called Belvárosi Fazekas ház.
Török Sándor Bath and Swimming Pool
The spa tradition of Vásárhely goes back more than fifty years. There has been a bath in the city center since 1930. The swimming pool and spa called Török Sándor Strandfürdő és Gyarmati Dezső Sportuszoda is situated in the heart of Hódmezővásárhely, in spacious parkland. It is in an easily accessible quiet and calm environment. There are several outdoor thermal pools offering relief for rheumatic complaints. In the spa there is possibility for massage and underwater massage provided by the experts of the local hospital called Erzsébet Kórház.
Black Eagle Conference Centre
A The hotel was built in eclectic style, also with Baroque and Rococo elements. The exterior plastering shows delicate ornamentation and plant decoration. The interior with its gilded ornamental plastering, the large mirrors in the ballroom, the plaster reliefs and the decorated boxes are of particular note as well. The building used to be a hotel, however today there is a Conference Centre and Cafe instead. Elegant balls, concerts and other events are held upstairs.
The Casino Association of Hódmezővásárhely decided to build their headquarters in 1896. Sándy Gyula was commissioned to plan it. The construction was completed in 1901. With its Art Nouveau style as well the ogee arched gable and circle-top windows it is one of the most distinctive buildings in the town.